Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Divergent By: Veronica Roth

Divergent is a dystopian novel based in futuristic Chicago where society is divided into four factions- Amity (kindness), Abnegation (selflessness), Dauntless (bravery), Erudite (wisdom), and Candor (honesty). When a child reaches the age of 16 they must decide whether to remain in their faction or to transfer to a faction of their choosing. Divergent is the gripping story about Beatrice Prior's choosing ceremony and how it will change her life forever!

My Reactions- I figured that since I had enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy, (my first taste of dystopian writing) I should try Divergent. It was a very good decision! Roth's writing in the 1st person really made me feel connected to Beatrice or "Tris" versus making feel stuck in her head, which could have been an issue. 

Character Thoughts- Tris's attitude toward life, her fears, her likes and dislikes are very similar to what mine would be were I in her position. She struggles with finding out who she is and what she stands for. Then she meets someone. Four. Four is a character which at first I feared but grew to love. He is so strong and pushes Tris to go to her limit. Farther sometimes then even she realizes she can go. There are several supporting characters who I thought were very interesting. Al, Will, and Christina are just a few. The relationships between the initiates becomes so developed and real and intricate that it is very hard to forget that they are only supporting roles. 

Setting- I love the way Roth intertwined many modern day beliefs on ways to have a world wide peace into her book. I always find it interesting when an author puts potentially political content in a book. Anything that could reflect our society today or where it is headed. The description of the different factions and their beliefs fascinate me. I think that Roth did a very good job in making an original dystopian novel! 

Rating- 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments: