Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Corner of the Universe By: Ann M. Martin

This book has certainly lifted the corners of MY universe!

It is about a 12 year old girl named Hattie. She and her parents run a boarding house in 1960's Millerton. Then the summer that she turns 12 is flipped up-side down when her Uncle Adam who she never knew existed comes to live with his parents (Hattie's Nanna and Poppa) because his 'school' closed. It soon becomes apparent to Hattie that Adam has mental problems. She then goes on the adventure of a life time in which Adam shows her how to "Lift the Corners of her Universe!" It has a shocking end which left me brooding!

I really enjoyed Corner of the Universe! It was a book that told me about a subject that I almost never have thought of... That of people with mental issues. It really was an eye opener for me in many ways. I would definitely recommend it!

Note: There is an instance where one of the borders is in bed with her boyfriend who does not board there. I did appreciate that the author (through the eyes of Hattie) made it clear that it was against what she thought correct.

SPOILER!!!!/Warning!!

Suicide is committed in this book.

No comments: